Bowl Surgery, Episode 4 – Wood, Art, Woodworking

Bowl Surgery, Episode 4 – Wood, Art, Woodworking


You know, I have been itching to do something
on the lathe. I have these two bowl blanks. This is a cherry blank I turned a while ago. Unfortunately, it has this bark inclusion
that is ready to fall out of it, basically. It has a lot of small cracks throughout the
sap wood here. It is kind of disappointing. It looks fine up here, but I think portion
is kind of useless. I have this other piece of crepe myrtle that
I turned a while ago as well. Sometime last year, I do not remember. I turned a few pieces out of this crepe myrtle
earlier this year and they turned out really nice. What I am going to do is I think I am going
to make a bowl out of this. I am going to cut the top off, cut the rim
off this, and glue it on here. If I orient the grain, I think it will be
OK. They are just about the same size, so I think
they will go together nicely. Bonus news, I got this grinder used just recently. Unfortunately, I have not even plugged it
in yet. It has been collecting dust, essentially. I also got some traditional lathe tools. I need to set it up properly. The guy I bought it from put this on the wrong
side. I have to take it apart. I have to mount it as well. It is kind of loose. I will figure that out later. I may need to sand these flat, just to ensure
good contact. I have another bowl blank here that, as you
can see, is super-warped. I have a piece of leftover zebra wood that
I think is just about the right size to go in there. I am just going to cut it right down the middle
and glue this piece in there. I recently picked up some traditional lathe
tools; a couple used from a friend. That might be too big to fit on there. So it seems these turned out alright. I used this oil-based finish again that I
am not necessarily happy with. It turns out kind of blotchy. It is just sort of an inconsistent finish
and it is not all that glossy; not that it needs to be glossy. This piece, I think, is magnolia with that
one piece of zebra wood. It has a little bit of torn out grain in the
centre, unfortunately. This one, however, turned out really nice. I am very pleased with this one. It is very curly crepe myrtle. I made some other stuff from this wood. Gluing this rim on here like this is kind
of interesting too. I like that it worked. I do not necessarily think these two pieces of
wood go together very well. If it was just two colours rather than three
colours, I think it would be better. Anyway, that is it for this episode of bowl
surgery. Thanks for watching. See you next time in Cammie’s Garage.

6 thoughts on “Bowl Surgery, Episode 4 – Wood, Art, Woodworking

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *